Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day #40 - A nice long run today . . . .

Today was a milestone run - at least for me.  A run of 12 miles at a good pace with no complications is an important test.  As I run longer distances I gain confidence in my ability to successfully finish a marathon.  I begin to get beyond 'can I finish' to 'how fast can I run the marathon'.  The run felt great - heart rate never exceeded 150, never felt winded, and had no need to rest to recover.  My hamstring felt great but my thigh muscle was tender.  It was not bad enough to stop running or limit my pace, but I felt it the whole time.

I want to congratulate Al Prisco. Al ran 10 miles for the first time in his life and had a great second meeting with Gary Connell - our nutrionist.  He has lost weight, reduced his body fat and gained muscle mass.  He is really dedicated and determined to have a terrific first marathon. It is not easy to be nearly 50 years old, built like a Chevy truck, and 3 miles being your longest run - and sign up for a marathon. 

I told Al today - there will be more than a few people tell him he can't do it.  Trust me - he can, and will. Why do some people not want other people to succeed and better themselves?  Something to think about.

Suggested marathon training playlist song - 'We Weren't Born to Follow' by Bon Jovi.

Day #40 - 12 Miles, Average Pace 8.50.


No comments:

Post a Comment