Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day #54 - The final 90 day push begins . . . .

It is time to get serious - three months from yesterday is race day.  The success or lack therof I achieve in the Los Angeles Marathon will be directly related to my adherence to my running and cross-training schedule over the next three months. My diet will also be a critical factor as how I eat and hydrate will either propel me to a faster time or will contribute to how hard I hit 'the wall'.  90 days goes by in a hurry.

My 10 mile run today was 6 miles at a 9.30 pace and 4 miles at a 8.20 pace.  I felt strong and comfortable.  I have come to realize that long-distance runners are often slightly injured.  To be honest, each run presents a minor physical issue for me.  Today I felt a little soreness in the bottom of my right foot - nothing too severe.  I have learned to adjust 'on the fly' and change how I run to adjust to the issue of the day.  I have become much more effective in this process over the past two years.

I finished reading Born To Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen.  Although on the surface it is a really compelling and interesting story there are a variety of deeper issues addressed in the book.  Our behavior today is without question a result of our past - whether we want to acknowledge that fact or not.  Read the book and learn why 'man' is built to run; and run long distances.  Fascinating.

Suggested marathon training playlist song - 'It Keeps You Runnin' by The Dobbie Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment