Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day #67 - Monday was Saturday's 16 . . . .

As a result of my weekend skiing in Keystone my 16 mile run was rescheduled for today.  I finished my last client meeting at 6:30 pm and headed to 24 Hour Fitness. I learned during training for the Chicago Marathon that running outdoors is the best way to train. However, icy roads and a temperature of 15 degrees = running on a treadmill.  I spent the 2 1/2 hours watching the college football national championship game and listening to 'Two Gomers Run a Marathon' podcast. 

The positive aspects of running on a treadmill at 24 Hour Fitness is that there is a mirror directly in front of you.  I was able to watch my running form and monitor it closely - to see how my form changed from mile 3 to mile 15.  I ran at a 9.40 pace - which is a very relaxed pace for me.  My heart rate stayed between 125 and 135 the entire 16 miles.  I think that is a good thing - but I am not sure.  I will do a little research and report back.

When you run a major marathon you are photographed about 50 times.  Some photos you know are being taken - there is a big sign on the course that says basically 'smile we are taking a photo'.  Many of the photos are taken without you realizing it - especailly late in the race when let's just say your focus is elsewhere.  :)

I noticed that my photos from Chicago showed that I ran with my head down and a little hunched over when fatigue set in.  Not good - poor form causes more fatigue.  Running long distances in front of a mirror has been good for me and my form.

I have developed a 'form' mental process during a run that I will discuss later.

Get out there and run.  It will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment