Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day #2 - Namaste . . . .

I ran my second marathon 40 minutes faster than my first marathon - a huge change in marathon terms. There are a variety of reasons why my time improved so dramatically. I will discuss these reasons over the next few days - in no particular order.

I have to give my son Chris the credit for pushing me to practice yoga.  For years I have had knee issues, back issues, neck issues and during training for my first marathon - severe hip pain.  I finally listened to Chris and gave yoga a try. I walked into my local CorePower Yoga studio feeling insecure, out of place, and self-conscience.  I told the instructor how I felt and she assured me that I would enjoy the experience.  Seriously, as class started I wanted to sneak out the back door. I had no idea what they were talking about and had to look at the other class members just to figure out what to do. I practiced yoga during the final two months of training for the Chicago Marathon - my hip, back and knee pain disappeared.  My neck pain is better but is still an issue - I assume a broken neck of a few years ago will have a permanent impact.

Life lesson - be open to new experiences and do not let the potential to look foolish keep you from trying something new.  We never know what the positive domino effect will be of getting out of our comfort zone.

You can practice at a local yoga studio or you can buy a yoga DVD on-line or at Target, WalMart or other retailers and practice at home.

My plan is to attend two yoga classes per week.

Day #2 - Hot Yoga, 75 Minutes, CorePower Yoga.


No comments:

Post a Comment