Monday, November 1, 2010

Good questions . . . .

This Blog is going to be personal in nature.  I am sure that my marathon experiences are different than others who, for some reason, think that running 26.2 miles is a worthwhile cause and will provide to the runner something of lasting value.

I am an amateur runner.  I was not on my high school track team, I did not run cross-country; and in fact I have never run consistently at any point in my life - until two years ago.  So for those of you who think there is no way you can run a marathon - think again.

In order to stay motivated during the next four months, I am going to commit to Blog daily and at the end of each posting list my workout for the day.

Why run another marathon and why Blog about it? 

There are a variety of reasons why a third marathon is in my future - although many of the reasons are truly hard to explain.  It certainly is not the terrific feeling you have when you hit the 'wall', the pain in your legs is overwhelming, and your mind is telling you, "You are done, there is no way you can finish this race".  It is not the sense of despair you feel when you run past other participants who due to a variety of reasons are lying on the sidewalk, surrounded by medical personnel, unable to go on.  The thought that comes to my mind each and every time I pass one of these runners is, "There but for the grace of God, go I".

To be honest, I do not know why I am looking forward to my next marathon.  However, I have 138 days to figure it out.  I will be at the starting line of the Los Angeles Marathon on March 20, 2011. 

Why Blog about it? 

I picture in my mind the thoughts and feelings expressed in this Blog will be of value to my family - especially my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Life can be uncertain.

Day #1 - 4.5 Miles, 8.00 Pace, 7.50 MPH, 0.50 Grade, Treadmill.

1 comment:

  1. Ellie and I are planning on being there to cheer you on!!!! Of course, I will NOT be running next to you - relaxing in a lawn chair on the side of the road with a Diet DP, caffeine free with extra ice in hand!

    ReplyDelete