Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day #3 - You are going to need some help . . . .

Happy Birthday to my beautiful one-year old granddaughter Liza.  Her first birthday party tonight was a blast.  She is a little angel.

I had a productive lunch with Phillip Buckley today. What does lunch with Phillip have to do with my marathon training you ask?  Phillip is a running coach - and a very good one. There are more twists and turns (no pun intended) during marathon training then you can imagine.  There are also 100 different opinions on how to train for a marathon.  Although you can get a wealth of information from http://www.runnersworld.com/ I strongly suggest establishing a relationship with a professional running coach.  A good coach will design a custom program to meet your needs and will monitor your progress on a week-by-week basis.  A good coach will also keep you from doing something stupid - more on my pre-running coach mistakes in a future Blog post.

One of the most important advantages of using a running coach is their expertise in helping you deal with and recover from injuries during training - which will, trust me, happen to everyone.  During training for my last marathon I strained a hamstring, had issues with my left calf ,etc.  Phillips advise was an important part of my recovery and allowed me to run the race - which at one point was in jeopardy.

Whether you live in Colorado or in another state - Phillip can help you.  Phillip can be reached at rockynrunner@yahoo.com or 303.589.2260. 

I will not run another marathon without the assistance of a running coach.

Day #3 - 4.00 Miles, 9:00 Pace, Outdoors, 7:30 PM Start Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment